Spring is finally here and it’s time to think about those projects you’ve been “meaning to get to” for the last few years. Some projects tend to be more involved than others and may be more important in the long run.
Painting or staining the exterior of your home is more than an exercise in aesthetics—it’s vital to the protection of your largest investment! Not only does a professional exterior painting job preserve (or increase) the property value of your home, it can save you money on costly repairs down the road.
There are many steps to professional exterior painting with important reasons for each:
- Pressure Washing—you can’t paint a dirty house. It may not look dirty, but there are seasons of oils, dust, dirt, loose paint, bugs, and other debris that may not be apparent at first glance. These particles prevent the primer and paint from adhering correctly to seal the surface and form a protective barrier that lasts for years. Pressure washing with professional cleaners is just the first step in making sure your exterior paint seals and protects your home for many years.
- Scraping & Sanding—while pressure washing gets rid of small pieces of loose paint, scraping removes the “loose-ish” areas of paint—paint that would have bubbled up and peeled away soon. Scraping and sanding preps the surface to accept the primer and levels the area where the paint has been scraped away.
- Masking & Protecting—protecting the areas that are not being painted just makes sense. Professional painters should be meticulous in their prep work so that your existing finishes remain intact. Window trim, fixtures, stonework, railings and all other items in the painting area should be taped and covered before painting begins.
- Priming & Prepping—in most cases, a house that has been painted before will not require a full coat of primer. Spot priming with a good sealing/binding primer is adequate to protect areas from further peeling and level the surface for a smooth final finish.
- Filling & Caulking— minor imperfections will be filled with the appropriate exterior filler and sanded to blend with the surrounding area. Areas of concern, such as around windows, doors, and siding trim, will be inspected and re-caulked, if necessary, to prevent water penetration and save you from costly future repairs.
- Planning & Painting—now we get to the good part! Professional painters will apply two coats of a high-quality exterior finish paint. These experts will make plans and weigh the weather conditions, as precipitation and temperature will affect drying and curing time. Whether it’s a refresh on the current color or going for a whole new look, the transformation is immediate and very satisfying!
- Clean up and Follow up—considerate professional painters will remove all masking and clean up surrounding areas of any debris caused by the painting process. Quality professionals will stand by their work by offering a warranty.
Professional exterior painting and staining is vital to protecting your investment and avoiding costly repairs. If it’s something you’ve been “meaning to get to,” contact the pros at Zook’s Look Professional Painting